I had the privilege to be the first person to customize and drive the car that we have nicknamed – The Car of the Future. This is none other than the Toyota Prius. It is a car that combines the electrical and engine components to propel the car at different times. The engine kicks in when the accelerator is applied, and the battery takes over when you brake the car or when the car is idling.
This car also senses when the battery level is low and immediately the engine runs to charge the battery to the recommended or set level. When it achieves this (usually in less than 5 minutes), the battery takes over again. It is due to this that this car is considered a town car. It uses very little fuel in traffic as most of the time it’s on battery, and this battery is charged when the car runs on the engine.
Here are some of the outstanding features I have observed:
- Space – This car is generally roomy. It has more space on the inside and feels bigger. On the rear seat, three people can sit comfortably. We traveled for 500kms and it was comfortable. A RAV4 or a Juke wouldn’t match the same comfort if seated on the rear seat.
- Fuel efficiency – This car consumes literally zero fuel when in traffic. In normal vehicles, we waste around 30% of fuel due to traffic jams. Using this car around means that you get to save on fuel.
- Environmentally Friendly – The Prius saves 30% on fuel costs. This helps to reduce carbon emissions and saves our Environment that is in dire need of conservation and intervention. Imagine a car that saves 70% on fuel, the environment would award us big time.
- Electrical Components – Generally, in motor vehicles, electrical components tend to last longer than mechanical parts. That is why sensors last long in cars. Toyota’s inclusion of electrical parts in the Prius model means that they have blessed us with less mechanical costs and durability of parts.
- Keyless Entry – I love the keyless feature in this car. It has the keyless entry on the drivers and co-drivers side.
- Picks Speed Fast – I was amazed by how fast this 1800 cc was picking up speed. Especially when you engage the power mode. It was accelerating pretty well for such an engine size.
- Parts – I can’t finish this blog without mentioning parts backup. Parts are a big headache and concern to many people. They determine if you will buy a certain type of car or not.
This car suspension fits parts from other cars like Fielder and Rav 4. The service parts interchange between Fielder and Axio/Belta- which are very popular brands. It’s only the air filter that is different, and of course the electrical part.
I will continue to access the car for a year and read up its manual then do another blog, one year later.
Leave a Reply